This vegan tomato soup recipe was inspired by me being in a bad mood and needing something comforting.
Cooking is something I do when I’m in pain. It’s something I do when I’m happy, sad… something I do when I’m feeling bored, and something I love to do when I’m feeling inspired. Cooking has been and will always be a form of therapy for me. No matter what end of the spectrum the intense emotion lies, I know if I cook I’ll fall back into alignment.
Cooking this vegan tomato soup sprung from a need for security, comfort and warmth. It’s fairly chilly here in LA, which is something I’d been missing, I just got back from an amazing trip to Chicago, and I’m spending my Monday all alone. Being alone, especially after traveling, can sometimes be hard for me. I’m a social being and I’m still learning to seek comfort in myself rather than those around me.
Something told me to make this vegan tomato soup, so I obliged…and it turned out so delicious I received everything I had been searching for. Try this vegan tomato soup recipe and you’ll feel just as warm and fuzzy inside as I did.
Or it’ll just make for an awesome weeknight meal, and that’s totally okay too. I’m just super emotional so…yeah.
First I started out with about a pound of fresh vine-ripened tomatoes. To peel these, I cut an x in the bottom of each tomato and immerse in boiling water. After about 15 seconds, remove and rinse with cold water. The peels will come off easily!
I roasted a whole bulb of garlic, and I peeled them and chopped them roughly. I also used half a large shallot – diced, a carrot, peeled and diced, salt and pepper to taste, basil, and coconut cream. It’s thicker and more decadent than coconut milk, and I love it that way. I also used a bit of vegetable broth to lighten it up, but you use that as you see fit.
First I started by sautéing the the carrot in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add in your shallots. Cook until the shallots are translucent and the carrot is softened, about 3 more minutes.
Cut your tomatoes into cubes and toss those into the skillet as well. Cook down until softened on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of veggie broth and about 1/3 cup of coconut cream to add creaminess. Add your basil, your garlic, and season to taste with salt and pepper. I also added a pinch or two of red pepper flakes for some spice.
Cook down and then use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
I garnished mine with homemade chili oil, coconut cream, spiced and toasted pepitas, micro greens, parsley and basil.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 bowl
- 5 vine ripened tomatoes - diced
- 1 carrot - peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves roasted garlic - chopped
- 1/2 medium shallot - finely diced
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh basil
- Red chili pepper flakes
1. To start, you'll want to peel your tomatoes and carrot, and chop them.
2. Roast your garlic, peel your cloves and chop them as well as the shallots.
3. Saute your carrots until soft, about 7 minutes.
4. Add in the shallots and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
5. Add in your tomatoes and roasted garlic.
6. Cook down for about 3 minutes, then add in your veggie broth.
7. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
8. Once the seasoning is how you like it, add in your coconut cream.
9. Cook for about 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender, or throw the entire pot into a blender and blend until smooth, then return to the pot.
10. Garnish with coconut cream, toasted pepitas and green onion.
DONE AND DONE!